Products: Student Health Insurance
Tuition, books, rent, food, fun. health insurance?
With all the things you have to pay for in college, paying for health insurance is probably last on your list. But what's last on your list could be the first thing to put you at serious financial risk. Think about this - if you're currently without health insurance, just one knee injury could cost you up to $12,000*.
That's why Fortis Insurance Company created Student Select - renewable, individual health insurance for college students.
Student Select is ideal if you find yourself in one of the following situations:
- Are you no longer eligible for coverage under your parents' health plan? Many health plans only cover you up to age 19-23, or they require you to have more college credit hours than Student Select.
- Does your college or university require coverage but you find the college-sponsored plan inadequate? Many college and university plans offer "bare bones" benefits that may not be enough to give you financial security against large, unexpected expenses.
- Do you attend school outside an HMO or PPO region? Restrictions on coverage outside HMO or PPO service areas may leave you with inadequate protection.
- Is your current health coverage too expensive? Traditionally, individual major medical plans cost two to three times as much as Student Select. The cost to include a student on an employer's health plan as a dependent can also be very expensive.
*Based on an actual Assurant Health Student Select claim.
Who's Eligible for Student Select?
To be eligible for Student Select coverage, you must be:
- A healthy full-time* college student under the age of 30.
- A student attending a state-accredited college or university.
(The college or university must be listed in the Higher Education Directory.)
- A student who maintains full-time status for a minimum of 31 days following the effective date of the policy.
*Full-time is defined as an undergraduate student taking 9 or more college credits or a full-time graduate student.
|<< Back to Insurance Products||Back to Top|